Home Index


photo Ronald Zoetbrood  
The former Zonnestraal (‘Sunray’) Sanatorium in the Loosdrechtse Bos, Hilversum, Netherlands. Bernard Bijvoet and Johannes Duiker, 1926-1928.
Old entranceway and access drive (view before restoration).

 

photo Ronald Zoetbrood
The former Zonnestraal Sanatorium in the Loosdrechtse Bos, Hilversum, Netherlands. Bernard Bijvoet and Johannes Duiker, 1926-1928. North façade.

 

photo Ronald Zoetbrood
The former Zonnestraal Sanatorium in the Loosdrechtse Bos, Hilversum, Netherlands. Bernard Bijvoet and Johannes Duiker, 1926-1928. North façade with stairwell.

 

photo Ronald Zoetbrood
The former Zonnestraal Sanatorium in the Loosdrechtse Bos, Hilversum, Netherlands. Bernard Bijvoet and Johannes Duiker, 1926-1928. Pavilion.

 

photo Ronald Zoetbrood
The former Zonnestraal Sanatorium in the Loosdrechtse Bos, Hilversum, Netherlands. Bernard Bijvoet and Johannes Duiker, 1926-1928. Pavilion.

 

photo Ronald Zoetbrood
The former Zonnestraal Sanatorium in the Loosdrechtse Bos, Hilversum, Netherlands. Bernard Bijvoet and Johannes Duiker, 1926-1928. Pavilion. The finishings were not complete until 1931.

 

photo Ronald Zoetbrood
The former Zonnestraal Sanatorium in the Loosdrechtse Bos, Hilversum, Netherlands. Bernard Bijvoet and Johannes Duiker, 1926-1928. Pavilion.

 

photo Ronald Zoetbrood
Workshops at Zonnestraal Sanatorium.

 

photo Ronald Zoetbrood
The former Zonnestraal Sanatorium in the Loosdrechtse Bos, Hilversum, Netherlands. The restored domestic staff house (now an exhibition gallery). Bernard Bijvoet and Johannes Duiker, 1931.

 

photo Ronald Zoetbrood
The former Zonnestraal Sanatorium in the Loosdrechtse Bos, Hilversum, Netherlands. Domestic staff house.
Bernard Bijvoet and Johannes Duiker, 1931. The dome.

 

private collection, Uschle 1918-1920
Johannes Duiker lived from 1890 to 1935.

 

 

The first aftercare flats at Zonnestraal Sanatorium in the Loosdrechtse Bos, Hilversum, Netherlands.
Bernard Bijvoet, 1938
photo Ronald Zoetbrood  

 

photo Ronald Zoetbrood
The first aftercare flats at Zonnestraal Sanatorium in the Loosdrechtse Bos,
Hilversum, Netherlands. Bernard Bijvoet, 1938.

 

photo Ronald Zoetbrood
The first aftercare flats at Zonnestraal Sanatorium in the Loosdrechtse Bos, Hilversum, Netherlands. Bernard Bijvoet, 1938.

 

photo Ronald Zoetbrood
The former Zonnestraal Sanatorium in the Loosdrechtse Bos, Hilversum, Netherlands. Twelve postwar aftercare flats, Bernard Bijvoet and Gerard Holt, 1950. These flats, too, were designed for the care of TB patients in a family setting.

 

After the Second World War, the founder of the sanatorium complex, Ome Jan van Zutphen (1863-1958), unveiled a commemoration plaque at Zonnestraal for the architects Bernard Bijvoet, Johannes Duiker and Gerard Holt.


photo Ronald Zoetbrood
Doelzicht, a private residence (since renamed Lindenhof) on Noodweg in Hilversum, was rebuilt after the war for the third time. Bernard Bijvoet and Gerard Holt, 1948-1950.
The plaque commemorating the construction of Zonnestraal was mounted on the terrace of this bungalow.
‘DOEL-ZICHT: B. Bijvoet – J. Duiker 1925 – razed by fire 1938. Rebuilt 1940 by B. Bijvoet. Completed 1st May 1940 by the Van Zutphen-Greger family. Designated as a nurses’ residence for Zonnestraal. Occupied on 10th May 1940 during the German betrayal, and fitted out as an aviators’ barracks. Later, on 21st April 1945, detonated and completely destroyed in a criminal act. This dwelling, designed by B. Bijvoet and Prof. G.H.M. Holt, members of the Royal Institute of Dutch Architects, dates from the autumn of 1950.’

 

Autumn 2001
Zonnestraal restoration has begun. Main building.
photo Ronald Zoetbrood

 

Summer 2002
The old façades and the original colours are restored.

photo Ronald Zoetbrood

 

Spring 2003
Surrounding walls and windbreaks have been rebuilt.
photo Ronald Zoetbrood

 

Summer 2003

Restoration is complete.

photo Ronald Zoetbrood

 

West façade, view of the main entrance on the access drive. Ground floor in former times:
on the right, the medical department, with the x-ray chamber at the corner; on the left, the main kitchen and the ‘ritual kitchen’ (Jewish kitchen).


photo Ronald Zoetbrood

 

South façade with outside stairwell. The ‘umbrella’ was also made of concrete.
photo Ronald Zoetbrood

 


 

Bernard Bijvoet worked in January and February of 1926 for
Robert Mallet-Stevens (1886-1945)
Paris XVIe (Auteuil), rue Mallet-Stevens and rue Cubiste, six townhouses.
Stairwell: the ‘Parisian disc’ crowning the residence and studio of the sculptors Joël and Jan Martel was plastered with small red stones.
photo Ronald Zoetbrood  


Home Index